SALI provides direct civil legal services for victims and survivors of sexual assault regarding:
- education, including college administrative hearings
- privacy issues; peace and protective orders
- family law matters (divorce, custody, visitation, child/spousal support)
- crime victims compensation
- referrals for tort cases
- any other civil matters relating to sexual assault
SALI also provides legal training, technical assistance and resources for professionals working with sexual assault victims:
- training for Rape Crisis and Recovery Center staff and volunteers regarding the law and the legal options available for victims
- training and technical assistance for attorneys working with survivors
- checklists to help victims, advocates and attorneys screen for civil legal needs
- Low Bono Network of attorneys interested and trained in working with victims. Low Bono attorneys receive a reduced fee for their work.
SALI works in all 24 jurisdictions of Maryland.
Immigration legal services consist of:
- Assistance with self-petitioning for VAWA
- Assistance with U and T visas
To connect with SALI, call 301-565-2277 (or toll-free to 877-496-SALI) for a 10-15 minute phone conversation with an advocate. Call Monday - Thursday from 9 AM- 6 PM, or Friday from 9 AM - 5 PM. SALI attorneys and staff are working remotely and are available to answer legal questions and conduct intakes for first-time callers in need of legal representation.