These clues are certainly not definite signs of an abusive relationship, only that there is the potential to become one. Much of the information that we have comes from already identified abusive relationships. We know that these relationships have all displayed some of these characteristics. There may be some who show these traits who are not batterers. Below are some common warning signs of an unhealthy or abusive relationship.
Does your partner:
- exhibit violence against you or other people?
- handle guns and use them to protect against other people?
- lose their tempers frequently and more easily than seems necessary?
- commit acts of violence against objects and things?
- drink alcohol excessively?
- abuse prescription or illegal medications?
- display an unusual amount of jealousy or insecurity?
- expect you to spend all of their free time with them?
- become enraged when you do not listen to their advice?
- isolate you from family and friends?
- check your email, telephone, or social media without permission?
- appear to have a dual personality or constant mood swings towards you?
- seem either overly cruel or kind, or put down or belittle you?
- have firm ideas of you should do that are determined by male or female sex-oriented stereotypes?
- make false accusations?
- repeatedly pressure you to have sex?
"Warning Signs," http://www.breakthecycle.org/warning-signs (last visited June 28, 2015).
Updated by Christina Uliano, Esq.