Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault
Our mission is to help prevent sexual assault, advocate for accessible, compassionate care for survivors of sexual violence, and work to hold offenders accountable.
Sexual Assault Legal Institute
SALI provides direct civil legal services for victims and survivors of sexual assault regarding:
- education, including college administrative hearings
- privacy issues; peace and protective orders
- family law matters (divorce, custody, visitation, child/spousal support)
- crime victims compensation
- referrals for tort cases
- any other civil matters relating to sexual assault
SALI also provides legal training, technical assistance and resources for professionals working with sexual assault victims:
- training for Rape Crisis and Recovery Center staff and volunteers regarding the law and the legal options available for victims
- training and technical assistance for attorneys working with survivors
- checklists to help victims, advocates and attorneys screen for civil legal needs
- Low Bono Network of attorneys interested and trained in working with victims. Low Bono attorneys receive a reduced fee for their work.
SALI works in all 24 jurisdictions of Maryland.
Immigration legal services consist of:
- Assistance with self-petitioning for VAWA
- Assistance with U and T visas
To connect with SALI, call 301-565-2277 (or toll-free to 877-496-SALI) for a 10-15 minute phone conversation with an advocate. Call Monday - Thursday from 9 AM- 6 PM, or Friday from 9 AM - 5 PM. SALI attorneys and staff are working remotely and are available to answer legal questions and conduct intakes for first-time callers in need of legal representation.
Program Contact Phone: 301-565-2277
Program uses Language Line (Y/N): Yes
Program staff provide services in other languages: SALI has Spanish-speaking advocates on staff and will provide language interpretation services for other languages, including ASL.
Intake days/hours (by phone): Monday-Thursday, 9am-6pm, Friday, 9am-5pm
Cost or fee (describe): Free
Eligibility-income: Maryland Legal Services Corporation Guidelines
Divorce: Full Representation
Domestic Violence: Full Representation
Employment: Full Representation
Guardianship: Full Representation
Housing - General: Full Representation
Immigration and Citizenship: Full Representation
Other Topics: Full Representation
Se habla Español: Full Representation
Silver Spring, MD 20907
Is this legal advice?
This site offers legal information, not legal advice. We make every effort to ensure the accuracy of the information and to clearly explain your options. However we do not provide legal advice - the application of the law to your individual circumstances. For legal advice, you should consult an attorney. The Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, a court-related agency of the Maryland Judiciary, sponsors this site. In the absence of file-specific attribution or copyright, the Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library may hold the copyright to parts of this website. You are free to copy the information for your own use or for other non-commercial purposes with the following language “Source: Maryland's People’s Law Library – www.peoples-law.org. © Maryland Thurgood Marshall State Law Library, 2023.”